"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2"

Saturday, February 11, 2017

A SIGN FOR GOOD

Some years ago, as I was reading my Bible, I came across the verse in Psalm 86:17 where it says: "Show me a sign for good.." The psalmist wanted God to show up and show David's enemies that God was with him.

That sounded really good to me. I wanted a sign for good, too. A sign that would encourage me and show me God's favor. Something that would make me feel really good.

Then as I read a page in my daily devotional, there it was again. That same scripture! Was this a sign that I should pray this way?

So I started to ask the Lord for a sign for good for me, whatever it would be. A rainbow in the sky? A letter from a long-lost friend? A voice from Heaven? I didn't know what kind of a sign I needed or wanted; just a token of God's love for me, that's all!

But He stopped me and said, "What if you are the good someone is looking for today?"

That made me stop and think. I knew God loved me and was with me. I really didn't need a special sign. But it sure sounded good...that God would show me special favor! But He reminded me that I should stop focusing on myself and concentrate on being a blessing to someone else.

God has already showed us His favor by saving us and accepting us into His family. And He has put us on the earth to show others His good will.. His mercy and love.. His desire to save.. to care for their needs, etc. The list goes on and on. God is just plain good! He wants the best for all of us.

And we, who know Him, are supposed to be the signs, the sign posts. We are here to point people to Heaven... to Jesus... to the cross... and to be a sign for good for someone who is lost or in need.

To be allowed to serve Him in any capacity is such an honor.  All we really need to do to please Him is to show someone the Way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment